A Zoom Roundtable honoring Mark Juergensmeyer, with a tribute to Victor Faessel
Thursday, 17 June | 3:00-6:00 pm (PDT) | Zoom Link
Please join the Orfalea Center for Global & International Studies as we honor and pay tribute to the founding Director and Program Director of the Orfalea Center.
Mark Juergensmeyer is professor of global studies,professor of sociology, and affiliate professor of religious studies at the University of California, Santa Barbara, where he was the founding director of the Global and International Studies Program and the Orfalea Center for Global and International Studies. He is an expert on religious violence, conflict resolution and South Asian religion and politics.
Victor Faessel is Associate Director of the Mellichamp Initiative on 21st Century Global Dynamics and managing editor of the online global studies journal, global-e at the University of California, Santa Barbara. Previously he was founding Program Director of the Orfalea Center for Global & International Studies at UCSB (2006 to 2016) and he served as secretary of the Global Studies Consortium from its establishment in 2007 until 2019.
3:00 Welcome and Opening Remarks
- Paul Orfalea (Audacious Foundation)
- Charlie Hale (SAGE Sara Miller McCune Dean of Social Sciences, UCSB)
- Paul Amar (Director, Orfalea Center for Global & International Studies, UCSB)
3:15 Roundtable I: Future Trends in the Field and its Applications to Current Crises
Is global studies prepared for global warming, new pandemics, the rejection of globalization and other crises of the future?
- Saskia Sassen (Columbia University)
- Richard Falk (Princeton University)
- Matthias Middell (Leipzig University)
4:00 Roundtable II: Innovations in Teaching and Research Methods of Global Studies
Does global studies need its own distinct methods of teaching and research?
- David Wank (Sophia University, Tokyo)
- Paul James (University of Western Sydney)
- Changgang Guo (Shanghai University)
4:45 Roundtable III: Global Studies and Neo-Nationalism
Is neo-nationalism global or is it a revolt against globalism?
- Manfred Steger (University of Hawaii)
- Praveen Singh (Ambedkar University, Delhi)
- Jie-Hyun Lim (Sogang University, Korea)
5:30 Open Discussion
6:00 Closing Remarks and Tribute to Victor Faessel